Are you looking for a unique teaching experience in Asia’s newest country?
LELI is a friendly, rewarding and enjoyable place to work with a strong sense of community, and we’re always pleased to hear from dedicated, enthusiastic teachers that are interested in becoming part of our dynamic team. Timor-Leste can be a challenging environment at times, but it is also a land of opportunity for those willing to invest their time and energy. The country is going through positive change and those that work at LELI are helping to make a genuine difference in the development of a nation that is rich in culture and history.
“…teachers at LELI also help to develop students analytical and critical thinking skills through a range of different teaching strategies.”
It is worth considering that teachers have to be highly motivated and have a positive attitude as living and working in a hot, remote location where a significant percentage of the population live in poverty, amenities are basic and infrastructure issues are commonplace is not for the faint-hearted. Tolerance, patience, and the ability to be flexible enough to cope with the myriad challenges associated with living and working in a post-conflict developing country are essential personal characteristics.
The standard of education in Timor is generally poor, and a significant number of our students have had their education disrupted due to Timor-Leste’s years of struggling for independence. Additionally, and while our students come from a variety of backgrounds, the methodology most have been exposed to means that the majority of our students have difficulty with abstract thinking and/or autonomous learning. Therefore, in conjunction with building students’ English language proficiency, teachers at LELI also help to develop students analytical and critical thinking skills through a range of different teaching strategies.
As a language training organisation, we are constantly looking for ways to develop and improve what we do, so we are always looking for passionate teachers keen to share their knowledge, skills and experience. If you are interested in working at LELI, have a degree, a CELTA or equivalent EFL qualification and at least 3 years teaching experience, please send your CV, a cover letter and your answers to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- What motivated you to become an EFL teacher, and what do you enjoy most about teaching now?
- What, if any, experience have you had of working in a developing country and/or challenging environment? How did you cope?
- What appeals to you about working at LELI and/or living in Timor-Leste?
- Public transport and taxis in Dili are unreliable and often unavailable after 6:00pm, and with teachers being required to teach offsite occasionally, most teachers at LELI have their own transport and typically ride scooters or motorbikes. Would you be comfortable riding a motorbike, scooter or bicycle?
- Away from teaching, what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?